- Prepare crust and line 9-inch pie tin. Trim even with outside edge of the pie tin.
- Pare and core apples; slice thin. Add sugar mixed with cornstarch, salt and spices. Sugar and salt will pull liquid out of the apples and make a sauce. Mix well to coat apple pieces evenly.
- Fill the pastry-lined pie tin. Dot with butter.
- Add top crust and trim to 1/2-inch overhang. Fold top crust edge under bottom crust. Crimp edges with fingers and make flutes to seal crust edges. Slice top crust with knife, 3 or 4 2-inch slits, to make steam vents.
- Use pasry brush to apply water and egg mixture to top crust. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
- Bake in pre-heated 450°F oven for 10 minutes and then in moderate oven, 350°F, about 40 minutes or until crust is nicely browned. If crust is getting too brown, cover with foil.
- Note: If apples are not tart, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice.