- Peel carrots and potatoes. Cut carrots into 1-inch long pieces. Cut potatoes into sixths.
- Trim and destring celery stalks, cut into 1-inch long pieces.
- Peel and trim onions, leave whole if about the size of the potato pieces.
- Place vegetables in a large pot along with peas. Pour in tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Add enough water to just cover. Place on low heat.
- In frying pan, bring vegetable oil to cooking temperature. Place flour and spices in a plastic bag. Place stew beef in the bag and shake to coat the beef with the flour and spice mixture. Place the beef in the frying pan and brown all sides.
- Mix the remaining flour and spice mixture with a few spoons of water to make a paste. Add the vegetable-tomato mixture in the big pot.
- Add the beef and the pan drippings to the large pot with the vegetables. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. By the time the vegetables are tender, the tomato and flour should have thickened to make a nice thick sauce for your stew.