- Snap ends and pull strings from your beans. Slice beans lengthwise you may, if desired, cut beans crosswaya on the bias).
- If adding the carrot, peel and thin slicde (use the peeler to make thin slices) and saute with the onions.
- Peel and thin slice onion. Pare and thin slice Bell pepper. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Saute the onions and Bell pepper until the onions just start to brown. Add the garlic and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add the green beans to the skillet, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender (about 20 minutes, less if using frozen beans). Add water, a tablespoon or two at a time as needed, to keep the bottom of the skillet wet.
- Drain the packing juice from the canned tomatoes. When beans are tender, add the diced tomatoes. Cook until heated through. Season with salt, pepper and cumin. Add tablespoon of butter, to give it that rich feel on your tongue, and fold until coated. Remove to serving bowl.
Many people like to add 1/4 cup of chopped parsley to the cooking green beans and then garnish with a few torn mint leaves.