- Bread can be made in a bread machine capable of making large loaves of bread. Use the French bread setting and, depending on your machine, select the appropriate crust color.
- For hand-made bread, a bread machine can be used to make the dough or:
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and make your dough. Remove dough to floured surface and thoroughly knead dough until uniform and non-sticky.
- Return the dough to the bowl. Cover with a cloth and set in a warm place to rise. When the dough has doubled, remove from bowl and knead the dough again until of a uniform consistency.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces. For each piece, flatten into rectangle. Roll out until 12 by 6 inches. Roll into 12 inch long cigar shape. Pinch seam to close and round ends with the fingers.
- Place dough rolls on cookie sheet. Make slits with serrated knife, if desired. Cover with cloth and set in warm place to rise.
- When dough has risen to loaf size, bake in preheated 375°F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is a nice golden brown. Allow to cool on rack.
Before baking, brush loaf with beaten egg, if desired, for a glossy finish.