- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Beat the egg with the soy sauce, salt and pepper and 3 tablespoons of cornstarch until thoroughly combined. Pour over chicken and mix thoroughly. Let stand for about 15 minutes
- Whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, garlic, ginger and sugar.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in cornstarch, shake off excess.
- Heat about 3 cups of oil in your wok (or use deep fat fryer) heat oil to 350° . Carefully add chicken, a few pieces at a time. Use a spider or tongs to manipulate chicken pieces. Cook chicken until just cooked through and just beginning to brown. Remove chicken from fryer and drain on a rack or paper towels. Work in small batches so cooking oil stays hot. Remove and reserve oil for other uses later.
- Heat wok and add three tablespoons of the reserved oil. Add the sauce ingredients and chilies and stir fry over high heat until sauce thickens. Add in the chicken, stir, fold and toss to coat. Add green onion and stir, toss and fold to combine.
- Serve over rice with steamed broccoli on the side.