- Peel potatoes and onion. Finely grate potatoes and onion. You may use a food processor but do not over process and make a puree.
- Put grated potato mixture in a bowl. Add egg, flour, baking soda, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well and moisten all ingredients. Let sit 10 minutes.
- In hot pan (350°F) add enough oil to coat the bottom (a spoonful of bacon fat in the oil will add a lot of flavor).
- Take a ½-cup portion of the mixture, use hands to form portion into arouind, pancake shape. Lay in the hot oil. Repeat with remaining potato mixture. Do not overcrowd pan. Two or three latkes at a time is enough for most pans.
- Cook until crispy and golden, about 5 minutes. Turn to other side and cook until crispy golden, about 4 minutes. I have noticed that it is easier to undercook than overcook - make sure it is done (I guess that means you get to have the first one). After cooking, place on paper towel for 2 or 3 minutes before plating.