- Dissolve yeast in the 1/4 cup of warm water. Let sit until bubble start to form.
- In a large bowl, put sugar, shortening, egg and the 1 cup of warm water. Mix. Add the yeast mixture and mix until combined.
- Beat in the flour and salt. Cover with towel and place in a warm place to rise. When doubled, place in the refrigerator, tightly covere with plastic wrap, until ready to use.
- Form dough into rounds: If dough hasn’t deflate in the refrigerator, gently punch down. Roll dough into a log. Use a pastry knife to make individual pieces all the same size. Roll each piece between the palms of the hands to make a ball or round.
- Arrange rounds in a lightly floured 12x8-inch baking pan. Cover with a towel, set in a warm place and allow rolls to rise. Bake in a preheated 400-450°F oven until golden brown.
- If desired, to make a glossy topped roll, paint tops of rolls with 1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon of milk. Apply when rounds have risen just enough to touch all around.