- Place milk and rice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt and dissolved gelatin, cool.
- Add whipped cream and almond extract. Put in bowl and chill until fairly firm.
- Serve with cherry sauce. (you can use Danish dessert pudding mix for an easy sauce) Sprinkle with nuts as desired .
- Cherry sauce can be made from cherry pie filling - just thicken with corn starch. Also you can add some slivered almonds to the pudding itself as well as topping with the chopped nuts.
- To make the presentation platter shown, allow the rice pudding to cool in the pan. Lightly butter the inside of a ring mold. Evenly spread the pudding in the ring mold being careful not to press too tightly. Refrigerate for 45 minutes or until the pudding is firm. Use a soft spatula to loosen the edges of the pudding from the side of the mold. Center a plate over the mold and invert. Holding the plate and the mold together, lightly thump the plate on a wadded-up dish towel. Place a small bowl of your selected fruit topping in the center of the rice pudding ring.