- Soak wooden skewers to minimize charring. Cut meat, fruit and vegetable pieces about the same size so that the kabobs lay flat on the grill. If using plantains, make sure they are very ripe. If using bananas, make sure they are slightly green or they will break when turning on the grill.
- The selected food items for the kabob are suggestions, chosen because they travel well to the campground in the peel or in the can. One exception are fresh pearl onions. Sometime hard to find, frozen pearl onions can usually be found in the frozen food section. The choice is yours.
- Skewer the food items in alternating order to mix colors and textures. Choose your own order - shown is banana, pineapple, Spam, pearl onion, green Bell pepper, banana, pineapple, Spam, pearl onion, and green Bell pepper.
- Grill on preheated grill over moderate heat.
- When browned, about 2 minutes, turn. Use pliers to grasp the skewers. Grill top, bottom and both sides.
- As each grilled side is turned up, liberally baste with your choice of Teriyaki sauce.
- Plate for a sit down dinner, pick up and eat from the skewer while sitting around the campfire, or lay skewer in a large flour tortilla, fold and grasp the food items while you pull out the skewer to make a Spamkabob burrito.