- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, shortening, coffee or water and cocoa. Stir and heat to boiling.
- Pour the boiling mixture over the flour and sugar in the bowl. Add the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla extract.
- Mix well, usng a wooden spoon or high speed on electric mixer.
- Pour into a well buttered 17 ½-x11-inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F. oven for 20 minutes or until brownies test done in the center with a toothpick.
- While the brownies are baking, prepare the frosting. In a saucepan, combine the butter, coca and milk. Heat to boiling while stirring.
- Mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla until frosting is smooth.
- Pour warm frosting over brownies as soon as you can take them out f the oven.
- Cool, cut into 48 bars.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can 1) Substitute 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice. Mix into ½ cup of milk, or 2) Use powdered buttermilk mixed according to the package directions.
Recipe courtesy of Great American Recipes