- Sort and cull dried beans. Rinse well. In a bowl with lid, cover with 2 inches cold water. Allow to soak a minimm of 4 hours but over nght in the refrigerator is best.
- Fine dice onion and set aside. Coarsely dice salt pork. Cook in frying pan until about half of the fat is rendered. Drain fat and discard. Add onions and cook until onions are soft and transparent. Set aside.
- Drain beans. Put beans in Aircore Dutch oven and add water to cover 2 inches. Heat over medium heat until boiliing. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, stirring ocasionally.
- Drain beans. Add fresh water to cover by 1/2 inch. Add reserved salt pork and onion mixture and all remaining ingredients. Stir to mix well. Heat over medium heat until boiling, cover with glass lid, reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 15 minutes, stir often.
- Cover with outer metal lid. When indcator reaches top of the red arc, remove from heat. Allow to self cook until indicator is in the middle of the yellow arc, about 4 hours. If using the cozy, self cooking will continue for about 8 hours.