- Prepare cod according to package directions, either soak 24 hours changing water every so many hours, or use the freshen method. Wash fish for 15 minutes with running water, place in pan and cover with water, heat slowly, but don’t boil, pour off water, repeat this step until fish is no longer salty to taste.
- In a medium pan, bring water to a boil, add the cod and bring back to a boil, and gently boil for about 5 minutes. Remove the fish (keeping the fish water) and flake into pieces with a fork or your fingers. Put fish in a bowl.
- Stir together in a smaller bowl, 1/2 of the garlic, olive oil, 1 tablespoon of parsley (reserve the rest), red pepper flakes and black pepper. Mix well and pour over the flaked fish, stirring to distribute.
- Cook the potatoes in the reserved fish water until fork tender, remove cool slightly. Peel and slice into rounds. Melt butter and sauté the onions (I use yellow and red onions for eye appeal. You may use whatever color you choose) and the remaining garlic until nicely browned being careful not to overcook or char.
- Grease a 1.5 quart baking dish and place layers using one-half of the ingredients in each layer: potatoes first, then a layer of cod topped with the onions. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Bake in a 350°F oven for about 20-30 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and top with olives and chopped egg and garnish with the remaining parsley. If sodium is an issue, olives should be well rinsed or can be omitted if desired.
*I use russet potatoes but yellow, red can work as well
** I like garlic and use a lot, adjust according to your taste
*** I also like very spicy and hot food, use pepper flakes according to your personal taste