- Coffee Cake Crust: Cut 1 cube of the cold butter into small pieces. Add to 1 cup of flour in a mixing bowl. Use a pastry tool to cut the butter into the flour until it forms a coarse mixture with pea-sized crumbs. Blend while adding up to 2 tablespoons of water in increments. Blend just until mixture can be formed into a ball, do not over mix. For best results, wrap dough ball in waxed paper and allow to sit in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough, sprinkling with flour as needed, in a rectangular shape, 1/8-inch thick. Gently roll the dough into a cylinder and transfer to a cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. Unroll the dough.
- Coffee Cake Filling: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add 1 cube of butter and stir until melted. Add almond extract and cardamom and stir to mix. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup of flour, stir and mix until the mixture pulls from the side. Add eggs, on at a time, stirring well between each addition. Mix until mixture is smooth and uniform.
- Spread the mixture over the rolled-out bottom crust on the cookie sheet. Use a frosting knife to spread the mixture to the edges of the bottom crust.
- Bake in a preheated 350°oven for 1 hour. Remove to a rack and allow to cool slightly.
- Icing: Mix powdered sugar, vanilla extract and melted butter until a smooth and creamy mixture. You may have to add a teaspoon of water, if needed. Spread the icing mixture over the warm coffee cake. Sprinkle with the slivered or sliced almonds.