- Works best with 2 or 3 day old bread.
- Bread machine bread slices are larger than store bread. This recipe makes 4 large slices or 6 small slices of French toast. The cinnamon/ginger/clove spice combination can be substituted with apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice mixes. The cloves can be substituted with allspice.
- In a medium bowl, place eggs and milk. Add cinnamon, ground ginger and ground cloves. Use whisk to thoroughly mix the eggs and milk and suspend the spices in the mixture. The spices settle quickly in the mixture. Just before dunking bread slices, it is necessary to whisk the mixture to resuspend the spices.
- In hot Teflon pan or well seasoned griddle, melt pat of butter and spread over surface with spatula.
- Drag each slice of bread through the milk, egg and spice mixture. Go slow enough to coat each slice of bread thoroughly but not so slow as to let the bread get soggy. Place in the pan.
- Give each slice a liberal dusting of nutmeg. Cook until golden brown - about 2 minute per side but varies greatly depending on the temperature of the pan or griddle.
- When done, remove from pan, garnish with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, if desired, and serve. Goes great with some butter and maple syrup. That's up to you. Enjoy.