- Blend cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolks with 2 tablespoons of milk umntil well mixed. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, 1 1/4 cup water and butter in a saucepan and heat, while stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add cornstarch and water mixture and contine cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture is clear becomes clear; about eight minutes.
- Add lemon juice and lemon rind and cook an additional 2 minutes. Slowly add egg yolk and milk mixture and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Cool the filling mixture and then pour into the prepared pie shell.
- Make the meringue by beating egg whites, suagr and lemon juice until the mixture will form and hold peaks. Spread the meringue over the filleed pie shell. Use spatula to form decorative peaks.
- Bake in preheated 350°F. oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is slightly browned on the peaks.
This recipe doubles well for an extra large, deep dish pie.