- Peel and shred the sweet potatoes. Two large potatoes will usually suffice to make about six cups. A box grater works nicely.
- Prepare an 8x12x2-inch or similar casserole dish; butter the sides and bottom. Add the shredded sweet potatoes.
- Beat the eggs. Add the milk, sugar, cinnamon and instant lemon pudding. Mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the sweet potatoes. Cover and bake in a preheated 325° oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the cover. Sprinkle liberally over the top with ground nutmeg, return to the oven and bake an additional 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, recover and let stand 15 minutes before serving.