- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In another mixing bowl, combine sugar, shredded zucchini, cooking oil, egg and lemon zest and mix well.
- Add flour mixture, stir until just combined. Pour batter into a greased 8-x4-x2-inch loaf ban.
- Bake in a preheated 320°F. oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- After removal from oven, rest on wire rack for ten minutes. Remove from pan and cool thoroughly on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnigh before slicing. Makes one loaf - about 12 slices.
Some Interesting Variations
- Apple Bread: Prepare as above except substitute 1 cup of finely shredded, peeled apples for the shredded zucchini.
- Carrot and Pineapple Bread: Prepare as above except substitute pineapple and carrots. Drain 1 8 1/4-ounce can crushed pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons of the juice. Stir drained pineapple, reserved pineapple juice and 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots into the sugar mixture.