- Soak bamboo skewers in water for several hours before use to prevent charring.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Marinate in teriyaki sauce at least 2 hours - keep covered and refrigerated.
- If using, cut the leek or scallions into 1 inch lengths - the white part.
- Skewer the chicken and leek pieces in alternating order.
- Charcoal grilling is traditional in Japan but a gas grill works well. Grill the skewered chicken, about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until cooked through. For shio yakitori, sprinkle liberally, to taste, with salt after grilling. For tare yakitori, baste with teriyaki sauce while grilling and when the chicken is removed from the grill.
Making Tare - Mix together 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of sugar, a little
bit of mirin, sake and water, and heat and stir it up until well mixed and sugar is dissolved.
If using the basting sauce for a dipping sauce after cooking, heat the sauce in a small saucepan until it boils, reduce heat and simmer for 1 or 2 minutes.